Please send your resume to .
We will start reviewing applications in April 2021.
Job Title: Shelter Manager
Reports To: Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Salary / Exempt; starting at $30-35k based on experience
Updated Date: March 2021
The Shelter Manager serves as the head manager of Pet Placement Center, working closely with and reporting to the Board of Directors. The Shelter Manager directs and administers all programs, operations, and policies in addition to managing staff. The Shelter Manager must understand sheltering as it is defined nationally; oversees animal care and adoptions; ensures the safety, sanitation, and upkeep of the facility; provides staff training, prepares operational reports, and educates the public about responsible pet ownership; may perform duties of an animal care worker if necessary. The Shelter Manager will have an opportunity to advance into the role of Executive Director after a probationary period.
- Provides leadership of all management, staff and volunteers.
- Prepares staff work schedules and assignments.
- Oversees and approves all intake of animals.
- Promotes development of staff skills and strives to accomplish PPC goals and mission.
- Implements the strategic goals and objectives of the organization and provides leadership toward the achievement of the organization’s mission, annual goals, objectives, and growth.
- Provides administration and guidance for all staff and volunteers when implementing organizational programs and activities including adoption programs, facility management, fiscal management, fundraising, community and public relations, animal advocacy, and human resources.
- Reports the operational status of the organization at Board Meetings.
- Is accountable for expenditures and weekly deposits.
- Establishes effective working relationships with Board members, staff, and volunteers.
- Builds and maintains relationships with donors, business sponsors, and media sponsors.
- Develops and documents appropriate standards of procedure for all core functions of the organization.
- Performs the duties of animal caretaker as necessary and works collaboratively with staff to achieve shelter goals.
- Strives to remain current on animal welfare issues with continuing education courses/forums.
- Meets with Board of Directors to develop long-range programs and regularly reviews policies and procedures. Supplies Board President the monthly kennel report prior to the scheduled Board meetings and presents kennel report at the Board meetings.
Key Result Areas
- Strategic Planning - Develops, implements and supervises programs and services that are consistent with the PPC mission and that meet the needs of the community.
- Fiscal Management - Helps the organization achieve and maintain financial stability. Shelter Manager manages within the budget of the organization and oversees the management of all expenditures consistent with the organization’s accounting system.
- Fund Development - Helps the organization evolve fundraising efforts to support needed growth. Together with the Board, the Shelter Manager is responsible for the fundraising and development of PPC programs including cultivating relationships, marketing, advertising, and fundraising events.
- Advocacy - Ensures the goals of the organization are achieved on an annual basis. Shelter Manager serves as a spokesperson for PPC in the community and articulates and communicates the value of the PPC programs.
- Leadership and Management - Keeps the staff focused on achieving stated goals. The Shelter Manager motivates and develops the team; does the hiring, supervising, and evaluating of staff. Team members know what is expected of them.
- Community Relations - The Shelter Manager coordinates work with the Board’s committees,
volunteers, and partner organizations.
This job supervises all key areas of the organization and all personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Skills and Experience
- Solid management experience with passion for sheltering, animal care, or a related area; leadership experience is required. Minimum experience of 2 years working in an animal shelter or related environment.
- Nonprofit organization experience preferred but not required.
- Knowledge in animal health and well-being to include nutrition needs, resources for information and knowledge of common animal diseases. Ability to identify animal species, breeds, ages and genders. Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses and injuries. Know how to perform basic treatments that involve medications and subcutaneous fluids including use of needles, syringes and other equipment. Know who to contact when emergency and/or around the clock care is required for individual animals.
- Honesty, integrity, accessibility, and the ability to garner respect.
- Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to positively motivate and develop staff, board, and volunteers.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all sectors of the community, the Board of Directors, and staff.
Working hours vary depending on scheduling of programs and may often include evenings, weekends, and holidays in addition to daytime hours. Must be able to work with sick or injured animals. Must be able to tolerate loud working conditions. Both indoor and outdoor work is required.
Computer Skills / Office Equipment
Computer skills and cell phone use are required. Email proficiency and etiquette is required.
Health and Safety
PPC recognizes the potential for accidents in performing job-related tasks and promotes a safe working environment. All employees have a responsibility to promote and maintain a safe and healthy working environment and to complete assigned tasks safely and efficiently. Employee evaluations will include safe job performance.
Ethical and Legal Compliance
Conducts business in accordance with the letter, spirit, and intent of all relevant laws and refrains from any illegal, dishonest, or unethical conduct. Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity; upholds organizational values.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Essential Functions / At Will Status
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.